Offered by the University of Johannesburg, this short learning programme is an online instructor-led course to provide skill-oriented learning in GIS applications in the built environment field. The course will expose participants to free and open-source software, open standards and open data enabling them to implement the solutions discussed in the course at their own organisations.
The course builds on the introduction/overview of GIS sector and related technologies, global perspectives, theoretical concepts on spatial data and analysis and covers in-depth hands-on session on the relevant urban and regional planning domain sectors such as solid waste management, crime prevention and safety, spatial planning, land use management, transportation, and urban infrastructure/utilities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of conceptual knowledge of urban thematic areas and the significance of GIS in the provision of effective and efficient cities.
- Analyse selected thematic areas and identify key challenges and opportunities for GIS applications at various levels.
- Demonstrate an understanding of applications of GIS in various thematic areas of the urban and regional planning sector.
- Apply GIS techniques on selected urban thematic areas using open-source data for creative and analytical thinking for the purpose of problem-solving using open-source GIS QGIS.
- Demonstrate the use of QGIS for improved governance, efficient delivery of public services and strong decision support using various techniques and approaches in urban and regional planning.
More information here.
Contact: Aurobindo Ogra, email@example.com or Ujaval Gandhi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Register here (token: FEBESLP)