Last updated: 12 March 2022
Freedom of speech is the cornerstone of the information industry, and is a value we uphold. As such, our editorial decision-making processes occur independently of our commercial interests.
No payment shall be made for articles, information, sources or publishing rights; and any paid content such as advertorials will be clearly marked and distinguished. Novum Intelligence’s reporting will never be determined by those who provide financial backing for its work. This will be clearly communicated to financing parties in advance, as well as highlighted to our audience in our reporting.
Accuracy is paramount to editorial integrity, and we will quickly address any factual errors, misrepresentations or other errors raised within reason.
Diversity benefits knowledge creation, and as an industry publication we value equity, diversity and inclusion in published content. This includes diversity of gender, race and geography.
We honour confidentiality and embargoes, but keep them as last resort options. Confidentiality may be deemed necessary in some cases of sensitive reporting. Reporters will however verify sources irrespective of their confidentiality to ensure trustworthy, quality reporting.
Content published by Novum Intelligence is covered by copyright. Authors may not use or authorise use of the contribution without Novum Intelligence’s written consent, except as may be allowed by fair-use law. Requests for republication are welcomed and usually granted.
Based in South Africa, Novum Intelligence adheres to the South African Press Code, which aligns with the country’s Constitution that proclaims freedom of speech and individual dignity. We further follow the values and principles espoused in the Thomson Reuters Handbook of Journalism, especially those relating to the Standards and Values and Guide to Operations.
We welcome and value expert editorial contributions relevant to our audience and publication’s focus. Articles are selected and published based on merit, quality, and relevance, and at the sole discretion of the editors.
Editorial contributions are voluntary, and not financially compensated. The value for contributors lies in professional credibility. We ensure our contributors and their companies are duly credited, and that our published articles are fully search engine optimised so as to benefit the authors and their firms in online searches.
Authors must disclose any competing interests that might influence their decisions and conclusions of any content.
We don’t tolerate plagiarism. Contributors submitting plagiarised material will be permanently blacklisted.
Articles making factual claims are expected to include references in the form of a bibliography with in-text citations (using the IEEE referencing style).
- Write objective, substantive articles in which you share your unique knowledge and expertise.
- Avoid regurgitated anecdotes, general knowledge or buzzword.
- Importantly – editorial articles don’t promote a technology, solution, brand or company – this is reserved for paid advertorials.
Only advertising relevant and related to Novum Intelligence’s audience
Ads must clearly identify the advertiser and the product/service being offered
No explicit content, no political/politicised content
No ad/material for which the advertiser does not own the copyright/IP
No ads that imitate Novum Intelligence’s typography, layout or editorial format
No ads that are typographically ugly or distort the appearance of Novum Intelligence
No ads that are patently fraudulent, illegal or libellous in their claims/language
No misleading/deceptive ads
No ads for harmful products/services (e.g. tobacco and alcohol products)
No ads the company’s director(s) deem damaging to the brand of Novum Intelligence
See also: Terms of Sale
Novum Intelligence (https://novumintelligence.com) is an online business-to-business publication and news service for location intelligence professionals in Africa.
We collect visitor and user data to maintain our platform, provide high quality services and user experiences, fulfil orders, process refunds and support you, as well as for platform security, and to comply with legal obligations such as taxes. Some of this data is personal, most of it is not.
We collect and store
- Visitor data (“analytics”) such as clicks, session duration, device and browser type to help us understand how users engage with our platform, to measure our platform’s performance, and assess the effectiveness of advertising on our site.
- User data you share with us when subscribing or signing up for our newsletters, including your name and surname, email address, billing address, and phone number.
We visitor data (analytics) for 14 months, user data only during your subscription, and orders information up to three years in accordance with local tax legislation.
We share anonymous, aggregated, non-personal, non-personal-identifiable analytics with our advertisers to ensure relevant advertising on our platforms.
We do NOT collect nor store credit card/payment details.
We do NOT sell your personal data.
We do NOT share your personal data with anyone.
We do NOT use your personal data to retarget ads.
We do NOT receive personal data from third parties.
- You can request to edit or delete any personal data we hold about you at any time, either through the user interface or by contacting us. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
- If you upload images to our platform/services, avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS), as it could expose personal information.
- You can set your browser to “Do not track” or discard your browser cache.
- We follow international data security and privacy practices to protect ourselves, our users and our customers. This includes carefully selecting our service providers and partners.
Data breach procedure
We use advanced security and monitoring tools to protect our systems and data assets. In the case of confirmed data breach, or in the case of reasonable concern, we commit to letting our users know within 48 hours.
You can contact us to report any security threats, internal errors or bugs/glitches.
Contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected]
Terms of Sale
- Discounts, specials and promotions cannot be applied retroactively.
- All prices are in United States Dollars, unless otherwise stated.
- Payments should be made using Novum Intelligence’s payment channels (electronic transfer, debit/credit card, PayPal) – no cheques, cash or other payment methods are accepted.
- Novum Intelligence reserves the right to change prices and fees at any time; The price will be made clear during the order process.
- Novum Intelligence reserves the right to suspend/terminate any subscription, product or service for any reason, with or without notice and without further obligation. You will not be entitled to a refund in these circumstances.
The following terms apply specifically to clients and their representatives who purchase advertising and promotional services from Novum Intelligence (“the company”).
- Adverts and promotions:
- Are only placed upon receipt of payment
- Are not transferable to third parties
- Are approved at the sole discretion of Novum Intelligence
- Should comply to the company’ Advertising Guideline
- Placements shall not be binding until confirmed and accepted in writing by Novum Intelligence
- Novum Intelligence will not involve itself in disputes from adverts placed by representatives (such as PR firms) on behalf of their client.
- Clients are responsible for submitting and checking advertising material for quality and other discrepancies.
Refunds & Cancellations
- Order confirmations are binding.
- Subscriptions are non-refundable, but can be cancelled in your accounts page at any time. Cancellations are only applied to future charges.
- Confirmed bookings for advertising and promotional products/services can be cancelled up to a month prior to the agreed placement date, at a penalty cost of 50% of the booking fee.
- Novum Intelligence will not be held liable for any damages or consequential loss resulting from any delay outside the company’s control (natural disasters, system errors, ill staff, pandemic etc). In these instances, the client’s deposit will be refunded.
- Should Novum Intelligence’s be to blame for erroneous bookings, the company will waive 50% off the rescheduled booking price.
- There is no refund if any or all of Novum Intelligence’s digital products/services are temporarily unavailable.
Sponsored posts are advertorial articles such as those found in magazines, which are paid for by advertisers to allow them to reach their target audience and showcase their solutions in feature article format. Novum Intelligence takes great care and effort in vetting companies to ensure only legitimate firms with reputable solutions and offerings advertise to our audience. However, we cannot vouch for each claim an advertiser makes, and readers should treat advertorials/sponsored posts like any other advertising and apply their own judgement.